‘Bottle’ tells the story of a relationship between a sandman and snow-woman who communicate with each other by sending items in bottles over the ocean. The film is about 5 minutes long and has a very interesting ending that will test students’ skills of inference as they analyze the text. Here are some media literacy questions for students:
- Compare the sketches that the sandman sends to the snow-woman to the setting of the final scene of the film. What do you notice?
- What do you think that the film is saying about the way people communicate?
- What do you think happens to the sandman and the snow-woman at the end? Why do you think this?
- In the description of the film above I refer to the characters as male and female. Do you agree with my assessment of gender? Does gender matter in this film? Why or why not?
- Watch the “Making of “Bottle” in one minute” at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkgJ6R0S_H8 What might have been some of the challenges that Kristen Lepore might have experienced while making her short film?