Create an anchor chart of connecting questions with your students. Some to get you started are:
- What is a connection that furthers your understanding of the story?
- What is a connection that builds on the main idea of the story?
- What is a connection that broadens your understanding of the big idea or message?
- Is there an idea is this story that is like an idea in a story we’ve already read?
- Are there characters in this text/story that have traits similar to another character in something you have read?
- How does something that you have experienced further your understanding of this story?
- Do you share any common character traits with any of the characters in our story? Does this give you any insight as to why…?
- Are there people or events in the story that are like things going on around me…in my family, among my school friends and neighbours, in what I learn from the news? How does this knowledge help me understand?
- How does the story relate to what I know about the world?
- One thing I wonder about is…
- If I compare (name a character in the story)to (name another character) it makes me think…
- If it was my friend who said (use a quote from the story) I would have said…