Before reading with your child:
- Talk about the cover, the title and the pictures
- Predict what the book will be about or what will happen in the story
- Go over new vocabulary
Strategies to use while reading with your child:
- Tell your child the word beginning with the first sound
- Have your child read the last word of each sentence
- Have your child read one line and then you read the next
- Read a line, or paragraph and then have your child read it again
- If your child substitutes a word that means the same as the missed word, let your child continue reading uninterrupted
- Limit your interruptions of your child’s reading with questions or comments. Read first. Discuss later.
After reading with your child:
What happened in the story?
What was your favourite part?
I noticed that…
This reminds me of…
I remember when…
It makes me think of…
(You want your child to relate to the ideas in the book using their own experience or thoughts.)
I wonder if…
Now I want to know…
What do you think about…?