Use the following list “Things that make you go ‘Hmmm’” as writing prompts for a “quick write” at the beginning of a class.
1) If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?
2) Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?
3) How come there aren’t B batteries?
4) How do you throw away a garbage can?
5) How does a thermos know if the drink should be hot or cold?
6) Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package and hot dog buns only 8?
7) Why is it that night falls but day breaks?
8) Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?
9) Why isn’t there mouse-flavored cat food?
10) Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?