Steve Graham and Michael Hebert’s 2010 research paper identifies three main practices that strengthen students’ reading skills through writing. They are:
- Have students write about what they have read.
- Respond to a text in writing such as writing personal reactions, analyzing and interpreting the text.
- Write a summary.
- Write notes.
- Answer questions about a text in writing, or create and answer written questions about a text.
2. Teach students the necessary writing skills and processes that go into creating a text:
- Writing process and conventions.
- Text structure.
- How to write a paragraph.
- How to construct a sentence.
3. Have students write more and more often.